Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Supporting an Injured Adventure Racing Legend

I received this e-mail about a fellow adventure racer who was injured and fought for her life while in the outdoors. I am glad she is OK and wanted to share the story (as requested) because I am a believer that support plays a big part in anyone's recovery. Moab seems to be a wild enough place to hit people with its fire and ice... (avoid heat stroke and black ice while there).

Chicago Sun-Times Article
Aspen Times Article

Can you pass this along to your group.
If you have not heard about the ordeal that Nellie has gone through please read below.
The fact that she endured this event is a true testament to her inner strength and will power and makes me proud to call myself an adventure racer.
I know you are all busy with the holidays but one of our tribe members needs our support. Please take the time to send a note of encouragment and support, lets show Nellie how we rally around our tribe members. This along with our prayers is what she needs most at this time.

Troy Farrar

Danelle Ballengee, Patient, A236
c/o Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) Denver General Hospital
777 Bannock St
Denver, CO 80204
(303) 436-6000

Some of you may have heard about Danelle and her accident. I just spoke with Gary, her dad, and got some details. She is okay, but is in pain and has a long recovery ahead of her.
Danelle was trail running with her dog Taz in Moab and took a fall on black ice near the Amasaback trail. She broke her pelvis and was basically immobilized. Some lucky factors came into place for her though, as she was where someone wouldn't normally go. She had a couple of gels and some water and was able to get to a puddle for More hydration. Her neighbor called Gary when she happened to notice the lights on at Danelle's house and Gary called the Moab police. Rescuers found her truck immediately but not her. They searched for her on foot and ATV's and came closr to not immediately finding her. Danelle ended up spending two nights out in sub zero temperatures and was found on the third day by rescuers who were led to Nellie by Taz. She came close to spending a third night out, which Gary thinks may have been the end of her.

She was transported to Grand Junction and is now at Denver General Hospital, where she will have surgery on Tuesday. Obviously,the positive side is that she is okay and alive, but Gary says it will be a long emotional, physical, and financial recovery. She may need help down the road in many ways, so keep your ears open and feel free send a card, give a call, etc. The hardest part may be after surgery when she needs friends most.
I hope you are all well. Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tough inner strength for survival. wow, thanks for sharing the survival story, dad